Getting Water to the Herd

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

  Ever seen one of these lovely red and yellow plastic thingys sitting out in a pasture?  It’s called a Ritchie, and it’s how farmers get water to their animals.  I can tell you they are both incredibly handy and incredibly expensive.  They are plumbed underground directly from a water source which, in our case, is our well.  They need to be installed on a concrete pad.  We keep concrete blocks next to it so our wee ones can reach the water.   The Ritchie has a white plastic float that the sheep and goats push down with their noses to reach the water.  The dogs don’t quite get the hang of it so we keep a tub of water for them.  In the winter, the dogs’ water freezes but the Ritchie never does.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: