Shearing Day

Because you REALLY want to start this kind of activity when you get a little older… we’ve taken on shearing ourselves this year.  Thankfully only Gus and Beatrice need shearing.  Since the dog attack last spring, they’re the only two wool sheep we have left on the farm.


More Cherries

The saga continues…  and I don’t want to see my cherry pitter again until 2018.


Cherry liqueur. This won’t be ready for a few weeks, and yum.

Black forest preserves. I’m blown away by how good this stuff is! Dark chocolate, cherries and a little amaretto.

Speaking of amaretto…. these are amaretto cherries. They will be amazing as an alternative to maraschinos.


I’ve been on a sour cherry hunt for the past month or so.  I’ve tried every upscale grocery place in Greensboro and nobody ever carries them.  I started looking online to see if I could get some shipped here from a fruit supplier but the only thing I could find were jarred or frozen cherries.  In my online search, I located an orchard an hour north of here and sour cherry picking started yesterday.  And they were expecting 3000 people on opening day.  We were one of the first in line.  This place has 34 acres of cherry trees.  We met folks from NC and Tennessee picking there.  I pitted cherries for 2 hours when we got home.   I so far have made maraschinos and the best cherry pie I’ve ever tasted.  Today’s adventures include cherry liqueur and maybe some black forest preserves. 

Garlic Harvest

Our garlic harvest filled the back of our Mule.  We dry it outside in a shady spot for a week then store it in our pantry.  This should last us a year.

Felt Play Mat

For Dominic’s fourth birthday, I made him a felt play mat featuring some of his favorite places/things.  On the left hand side is our garden and green barn, along with our pond.  At the top is a fire station and a construction site for trucks.  In the center is a neighborhood.  I couldn’t resist making one of the houses a haunted house then decided it could just be Halloween in the neighborhood as that’s his favorite time of year.  At the bottom you’ll find some of his favorite places to go.  McDonalds or ‘The Restaurant’, Target (one of my favorites, too) and Sea World.   His Mom and Dad have annual passes there.  Finally, a parking lot.  Along with the mat we gave him a bunch of Matchbox cars and tiny farm animals.  And some Star Wars vehicles.  🙂


Kiln Opening Day

It’s always super exciting to open our kiln to see the results of what we’ve been working on for so long.  It takes us a good while to make enough to fill our kiln.  Brian does wheel work while I hand build in another room.  Once everything has dried out for a few days it gets the first bisque firing which takes a full day plus cool down time.  Then we have to glaze everything and that takes a day or two.  The final firing is a full two day process, including cool down.  For someone like me with limited patience, this can be very trying.  🙂  Here’s a sample of what we made this round.

A sampling of Brian’s bowls. I love his double glaze technique.

I’ve been goofing around with melting glass. The larger pieces are ring dishes. The smaller ones will be used in my miniature work as platters and dishes. You can purchase tiny dishes online but they’re super expensive. The smallest bowl is about the size of a dime.

I’ve been playing around with pottery stamps and my newest glaze. I love the blue highlights.



Farm Frittata

For breakfast this morning I decided to try my hand at a frittata for the first time.  It was to die for!  It’s got garlic, shallot, spinach, potato and asparagus from our garden, eggs from our hen house, goat cheese from our freezer and ham from WalMart because Brian won’t let me have pigs…  🙂

Previous Older Entries Next Newer Entries