A Visitor From The Pond

Orchards are a big draw for deer but turtles??  We found this huge guy in with our apple trees this morning.  It’s the first time we’ve seen a pond turtle up close.  They normally hang out in the middle of the pond floating around.  We once saw a guy stop a pickup truck on a bridge to move one of these out of the road.  He picked it up and it turned it’s head around and bit the crap out of him.   His heart was in the right place.  :-)

About these ads

6 Comments (+add yours?)

1. Sandy Steinruck
    May 26, 2011 @ 12:49:09

Pretty cool. We have gopher turtles here and they are fun to watch. They are usually 12-18 inches in diameter. I pick them up and move them when they are in the yard with the dogs or are on the road. The dogs think they are just big balls to roll around. The trick is to put your hands halfway between their front and back legs so they can not bite you or kick you with their legs.

2. Connie
    May 26, 2011 @ 13:07:18

I remember gopher turtles growing up. I don’t, however, recall ever picking one up!

3. Tracy
    May 27, 2011 @ 10:34:51

I grew up where turtles are not very common and even I know the proper way to pick one up :p

Though I usually couldn’t resist picking up any critter I came upon.

4. Connie
    May 27, 2011 @ 10:49:30

You always were very brave!

5. Knickers
    May 27, 2011 @ 15:19:10

When my husband and I would go to visit his father we’d stop quite often to move turtles out of the way :) He only ever got peed on… never snapped at.

6. Connie